Apologies for the late wrap, but there was obviously the after party last night, and on top of it, I was out with my brother for his birthday. This game ended pretty much the way it was supposed to, save a brief scare in the second period. Not quite DLR caliber, but if they had added a sixth, he would have been contractually obligated to make an appearance. So let's just skip right to the observations, shall we, since it's a game against Edmonton for fuck's sake.
Marian Hossa was everywhere last night, and his first star was well earned. It was the first time it actually looked like he and Dave Bolland had some on-ice chemistry, but it was against the Oilers, so take it for what it's worth. Troy Brouwer seems like a nice fit on that line as well.
- Both goals against Cristobal Huet were soft. Fix this. This type of shit will not fly against the upcoming opponents.
- The shots were once again out of control, with the Hawks peppering Devin Dubnyk to the tune of 47 shots on goal. Soupy and Hammer once again led the way in CORSI, with +23 and +25 respectively.
- Speaking of Niklas Hjalmarsson, it was nice to see him get himself another goal on the year, once again walking the puck across the blueline to get a low, hard shot from the middle of the ice.
- Thank you to everyone who refrained from being a shithead during the Canadian national anthem. I was fearful that there would be a meatball contingent booing after the result of the gold medal game, but thankfully the only boos happened on the replay of the Crosby goal, which is fine by me. There were nice ovations for all the Olympians as they were introduced as well. However, there were two fuckheads a couple seats over from me who didn't stand for the Canadian anthem. That's just flat out ignorant.
- While the first goal was soft, it's not entirely on Cris. Brent Seabrook HAS to force Sam Gagner (SAM FUCKING GAGNER) further to the outside on that play. Something with Seabrook is broken, and it needs to be fixed immediately.
- Nice to see Ben Eager back to taking dumb dick penalties.
- If Jason Strudwick is wearing an "A" for you, then your team sucks.
- Also, a big THANK YOU to the Bottom Lounge and to everyone who showed up after the game. We hope you had fun, and we're looking forward to doing more of that type of stuff in the future.
Dat Horsa Guy scored the first goal of the game on an effortless wrister from inside the blue line, and assisted on Bolland's tap in for two points, and was a force all over the ice with several "I'm Marian Hossa and you're not" moments.