It took an ungodly amount of time to finally drop the puck on 2013 season but when it finally did the Blackhawks answered the bell. The Los Angeles Kings looked they had no interest in playing hockey for the first 10 minutes of today's game. Was that not the worse banner raising ceremony you've ever seen? Lets introduce everybody twice! Huh? For the record, the Kings musical director needs to be publicly flogged. My Chemical Romance to celebrate a Stanley Cup, are you kidding me?? What, you couldn't afford to pay for the rights of the latest Justin Bieber song?
When the puck finally dropped the Hawks were ready to play. Patrick Kane scored the fist goal of the 2013 NHL season on a Blackhawks power play at the 3:41 mark of the 1st. Yes, that's right kids the Hawks scored a power play goal! Kaner totally made up for passing up an easy shot to make the hated extra pass just a few moments before he scored. Marian Hossa scored his first goal of the year, off of the 56 million dollar man Drew Doughty's skate to make it 2-0 at 12:57. Michael Frolik made it 3-0 at 14;11. Yes, the Mayans were right, the world is ending because Frolik scored a goal.
Jonathan Toews scored just 1:16 into the middle frame, on a play were the Kings looked like they had no interest in playing any sort defense. Rob Scuderi got the Kings on the board at 18:37 with the help of a great screen from Sheldon Brookbank.
Jordan Nolan looked to give the Kings some momentum at 9:20 of the 3rd period to make it 4-2. But dat Horsa guy answered 15 seconds later to squash any hopes of a Kings come back. The Hawks will head into Phoenix tomorrow night coming off the heel of a big 5-2 win over the defending Cup champs. On to the observations:
- Did anyone notice Dave Bolland or Viktor Stalberg today?
- Corey Crawford had himself a very nice start to the season today. He was in very good position most of the day. Neither of the two Kings goals was his fault, in fact both should go towards Sheldon Brookbank's goals against average.
- Speaking of Mr Brookbank it didn't take long for me to loathe him. Granted, he did have a good start to the game and had a solid first period. He screened Crow on the first Kings goal and did his best Keystone Cops impression on the second one! I think it's a given that Michael Rosival will make his Blackhawks debut tomorrow.
- Except for Brookbank's gaffes, the defense played really well as a whole. Niklas Hjalmarsson, who I am not a fan of, had himself a nice game. Nick Leddy was able to quiet his critics, at least for one day, by playing a very solid, physical game.
- Anyone else laugh out loud when Patrick Kane got taken out by a nasty hip check from the linesman?
- Daniel Carcillo left the game with an apparent knee injury. You should know by now that I am not a Carcillo fan but I would never wish injury on anyone, unless your name is Raffi Torres, Alexandre Burrows or Todd Bertuzzi. With that being said, I think Carcillo missing time will actually help the Hawks in the long run. If this injury gives Brandon Saad an extended look with the big club that is a good thing for the future of the franchise.