A quick and dirty how-to guide for anyone who's been wondering how to embed a picture or a gif.
Since a gif is basically an image that just happens to have more than one frame in it, these instructions are identical whether you're posting an image or a gif.
1) Find your image or gif. It can be either on your computer or anywhere on the internet. If you are using an image or gif from the web, you'll need to know its address. Right-click on the image or gif, and choose "copy image location." This will be important in a minute!
2) Open up http://imgur.com/
3) You'll notice in the top right there's a box labeled "upload images." It lets you choose between computer or web. Click whichever one applies to you.
4) A new window will open. If you're uploading from your own computer, click the 'browse your computer' button. If you're using an image from online, paste the image location you copied in step one into the box under the picture of the globe or atom or whatever the hell that thing is.
5) Once you've done this, a new set of options appears. Click on the green "Start Upload."
6) your picture or gif has now uploaded! To use it here in comments, open up a comment window. Click the little picture of the picture (to the left of the link) in the comment header area, and a new box appears asking for the location of the picture. Copy the second option that imgur gives you, the one that says "direct link" over it, and paste it into that box. Then click "ok."
7) Preview your image to make sure it's not HUMANGOUS BIG. If it is, go back to your Imgur page, and at the bottom of all the link options, there is a list of size options. Instead of "original" (the default), use "large thubnail." That usually sizes it right.
8) Hit post, you're done!