SI put out their best and worst owners today - it's all over the place so if you read any other blogs you've probably seen it. But here's my question - What the hell else does Rocky Wirtz have to do to get on this list?
Five Best Owners
1 Mike Ilitch Detroit Red Wings
2 Jeffrey Vanderbeek New Jersey Devils
3 Mario Lemieux/Ron Burkle Pittsburgh Penguins
4 San Jose Sports and Entertainment San Jose Sharks
5 Peter Karmanos Carolina Hurricanes
Here is how they say they judged the owners:
Among the criteria used to evaluate owners was the willingness to spend money to improve the team; the stability and capabilities of the front office and management; the amenities at the team's venue; and the club's culture and interactivity with fans. Of course, weighing heavily in the decision was the team's success or failure on the field.
- From 3,500 season ticket holders to a (supposed) 3,000 person waiting list
- All games on TV for the first time ever
- Campbell/Huet (I know, I know but at least they're spending)
- The Winter Classic
- Mobbed by fans every chance they get
- Oh and a little thing called the Western Conference Finals
So they're probably looking at long term success which obviously isn't fair to Rocky since he's only been in charge for two years but the results are there. Good thing these kind of polls are meaningless though...