Hey everyone! So the season has started up and like the Blackhawks, we're still settling in. Our team had some changes over the summer and so now it's time that we open things up and look for some fine folks to replace those other fine folks. We want to keep working to be the best Hawks blog around and that means getting more hands on deck.
So there are the couple big things that SCH really needs help with: game coverage and the morning bag skate. We need help with previews, game threads, recaps and the big morning link dumps that also serve as our daily community hubs for discussion. There will of course be room for other possibilities, as well, to anyone who joins the team.
Here's a little more detail on the available roles and how to apply. Thanks!!!
- Game Coverage
When it comes to covering games, there's a lot to do. We'd love to bring on some new people to help with the game previews, game threads and recaps that go up for each contest. Previews go up during the day of the game, following by three threads during the game and a recap afterwards. Are you usually up at night watching the games anyway? Why not help recap for us! Are you usually reading up on the teams the morning before a game anyway? Come preview for us! There's lots of room to have fun with this.
- Morning Bag Skates
The community is the life blood of SCH, and none of that is possible without these posts that serve as gathering places for our site. If you've been around these parts before, you're surely familiar with our morning link dumps and game threads. This is one area where expertise on hockey isn't necessarily required, although you do need to keep up on the latest news, so it's a good way to get started if you're still honing your writing chops. It's also just a great way to stay plugged into everything going on.
- Must be a Blackhawks fan. Duh.
- For game coverage, you must be able to watch most or all the games, either on TV or online via something like GameCenter. A recap can be written without watching the game but it's not nearly as easy or fun. Game threads, on the other hand, can be posted by pretty much anyone.
- Must be available and reliable. We primarily communicate via email, social media and a software called Slack. Missing assignments, failing to communicate, etc. makes things harder for everyone involved.
- Social media and/or blogging experience preferred (include Twitter account, etc. when emailing me)
- Familiarity with the SCH community, SB Nation and our publishing software, Chorus, is also a plus.
How to apply
For those interested in joining the team, please send an email to satcheleprice AT gmail.com with the subject line "SCH Application." Ideally, candidates will include a resume and links to past work and/or social media accounts to give me an idea of your past experience and writing style.
And one important thing to note, these are not paying gigs. Unfortunately we can only offer a platform and an audience at the moment, but things could always change in the future. The flip side is that we'll try to offer as much flexibility and opportunity as we can.
So that's it! I can't promise that I'll be able to respond to everyone who reaches out, but I'll do my best. I hope to be able to respond to those who might be joining the team within a few days of emailing me. Thank you to everyone who's interested, and I look forward to working with some of you soon.
And of course, go Blackhawks!