clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Blackhawks vs. Ducks Game 6 results: Duncan Keith leads the way to 5-2 win to force Game 7

Duncan Keith triggered three goals and saved another as Blackhawks extended the Western Conference Final.

Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports

The Chicago Blackhawks scored three goals in roughly four minutes in the second period and Andrew Shaw added two goals in the third period for a 5-2 win over the Anaheim Ducks in Game 6 of the Western Conference Final at the United Center.

The victory, which hands the Ducks their first regulation loss of the 2015 postseason, pushes the series to the brink. Game 7 is Saturday in Anaheim at the Honda Center.

The Ducks had rallied to cut the lead to 3-2 in the third period when Shaw backhanded a pass from Andrew Desjardins past Ducks goaltender Frederik Andersen to give the Hawks some insurance. He would add an empty-netter with 48.8 seconds left to clinch the win.

Duncan Keith, meanwhile, had an assist on each of the Hawks' three second-period goals.

The most controversial play of the game came when Clayton Stoner cut the lead to 3-2 with two minutes left in the second period. Jakob Silfverberg ran into Corey Crawford's glove preventing him from making a save attempt.

Not long after that, Desjardins was called for goaltender interference when he skated into Andersen. The Ducks looked to have a goal until Keith cleared the puck near the goal line and the Hawks would go on to kill the penalty.

Chicago opened the scoring when Brandon Saad took the puck on a breakaway and gave the team an early lead after a scoreless first period. Saad grabbed the puck near center ice from Patrick Kane, outskated Ducks defenseman Hampus Lindholm and beat Andersen. Kane and Keith assisted on the goal.

Soon after that, Keith would set up Marian Hossa at 10:41 for the second goal. Then Keith would save the puck from clearing the zone and send it to Kane, who used some shifty stick handles to get in the slot and beat Andersen with a goal that trickled past the goal line before Jonathan Toews could tap it in at 12:08.

The Ducks would get one back on a power play at 14:13 when Patrick Maroon redirected a shot from Cam Fowler.

More than seven minutes passed before the Hawks had their first shot on goal, a Kane shot on the power-play. The Hawks needed 16-plus minutes to get their first in Game 5. The Ducks outshot the Hawks 10-6 in the first and blocked 13 of the Hawks 22 shot attempts. The Hawks dominated faceoffs, winning the first 13. They went 15-of-19 in the first.

Crawford made 21 saves for the win, while Andersen stopped 28-of-32 shots in the loss.

Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville changed up his lines during the game -- his nuclear option -- bringing Kane up to the top line with Toews and Saad, while Hossa moved down to the second line with Bryan Bickell and Brad Richards. He also replaced veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen with David Rundblad, who was liable for two goals in Game 1 of the series.

It looks like all those moves worked. Let's hope the good times keep rolling.

Follow Second City Hockey on Twitter at @2ndCityHockey and Like us on Facebook. You can follow Brandon Cain on Twitter at @BrandonMCain.