With the Blackhawks bowing out of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in the first round for the first time since 2012, we have a much longer offseason to fill with content and fun than normal. One of the ways we have decided to that is to do this 30 day "challenge" in which we will present a topic for you, the SCH commenters and community, to answer. Every day for 30 days we will have a new topic to discuss in the comments.
Please remember that not everyone's opinions are the same. We ask that you do not mock others for their opinions that are different than yours. Everyone's varying opinions are good to help create discussion, and we can come to know each other a little better through this exercise.
Stick tap to Cageside Seats, SBN's Pro Wrestling blog, for the idea.
Day 24: Favorite goalie of all time?
Robert: Since I'm a younger fan, I wasn't really able to enjoy previous Hawks greats. So it almost goes without saying that my favorite goalie of all time is Corey Crawford. Crow developed through the Hawks' system for years patiently, endures mountains of criticism even after accomplishing so much, and has turned into one of the best goalies in the NHL. His transformation into an elite goalie and resolve are what have me considered adding his name to my Hawks jersey selection. I'm normally very picky, but for a guy that could end up being the best or at least most decorated (Get this man a Conn Smythe) Hawks goalie of all time, you make exceptions. He is the Hawks' lynchpin for all of the recent and future success. I've always said there's sometimes a strange sense of calm that comes over me when a Hawks' opponent is pressuring or has a breakaway. That's because I know Crow is between the pipes withstanding the flourish and putting on yet another show.
Brandon: For the Hawks, I'll agree with Polish Bob. The one thing I'll add to his answer is Crawford got David Kaplan to eat his words and make Kaplan say he was wrong at the convention.
Non-Hawks it's Patrick Roy because in the 1990s he was fantastic between the pipes and landed a few good shots on Chris Osgood, too. Also, a netminder that doesn't get nearly as much credit around these parts as he should is Wendell Young, who has won five championships (Robertson, Memorial, Calder, Turner and Stanley). He won two Turners with the Chicago Wolves and his No. 1 was the first number retired and hung in the rafters at the AllState Arena.
So, sound off below. Who's your favorite goalie of all time?
Check out the previous 30 Days of Fandom posts here:
1. Why are you a Blackhawks fan?
2. What is your favorite Blackhawks memory?
3. Who is your favorite Blackhawks player of all time?
4. Where is your favorite place to watch a game?
5: What is your favorite area to sit at the United Center?
6. Who introduced you to hockey?
7. Your unpopular hockey opinion?
8. Who is your favorite hockey writer?
9. Your favorite current Blackhawks player?
10. Jersey you want the most?
11. Your biggest hockey superstition?
12. Favorite goal song beside 'Chelsea Dagger'?
13. Favorite food at the United Center?
14. Your most cherished Blackhawks merchandise?
15. Favorite player not on the Blackhawks?
16. Favorite hockey podcast?
17. Former NHL player you wish would've been on the Hawks?
18. Favorite NHL team besides the Blackhawks?
19. Most disliked NHL team?
20. Favorite NHL game ever?
21. Favorite Chicago sports team besides the Blackhawks?
22. NHL Arena you'd like to visit most?
23. Favorite bar to watch a Blackhawks game?