In what will be their fourth appearance in the history of the event, the Blackhawks will have the documentary series “Road to the NHL Winter Classic” highlight the weeks leading up to the 2019 Winter Classic on NBC Sports Network, starting Wednesday night. Chicago will face the Bruins in the annual New Year’s Day event at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Indiana.
The award-winning docuseries brings fans inside the day-to-day lives of players and coaches on both teams, in preparation of the outdoor game. For the first time in the history of the series, fans will be able to watch the three-week series on NBCSN starting at 10:30 p.m. Central following coverage of the Capitals-Penguins game. The first two episodes will air for 30 minutes each, with an hour long finale wrapping up the series Jan. 6.
Chicago’s participation in the Winter Classic was documented in 2009 against the Red Wings at Wrigley Field, 2015 against the Capitals at Nationals Park and 2017 against the Blues at Busch Stadium. Boston has played in two Winter Classic games, including home contests against Flyers in 2010 at Fenway Park and Canadiens in 2016 at Gillette Stadium.
After the series debut, NHL Network will be re-broadcasting each episode. For fans that do not have either NBCSN or NHL Network in their television package, each episode will be available on NHL.com and the NHL’s YouTube, Facebook and Instagram pages at a later date.
- Episode 1: Wednesday, Dec. 19 — 10:30 p.m. (following Pittsburgh vs Washington)
- Episode 2: Thursday, Dec. 27 — 4:30 p.m.
- Episode 3: Sunday, Jan. 6 — 10:30 p.m. (following Blackhawks vs Pittsburgh)
* Canada *
- Episode 1: Friday, Dec. 21 — 6 p.m. on SN360
- Episode 2: Friday, Dec. 28 — 6 p.m. on SN360
- Episode 3: Monday, Jan. 7 — 4 p.m. on SN1
- Episode 1: Monday, Dec. 24 — 7 p.m.
- Episode 2: Sunday, Dec. 30 — 6:30 p.m.
- Episode 3: Monday, Jan. 7 — 9 p.m.
- Episode 1: Saturday, Dec. 22 — 10 a.m.
- Episode 2: Saturday, Dec. 29 — 10 a.m.
- Episode 3: Tuesday, Jan. 8 — 10 a.m.