The Blackhawks entered their final game of October with hopes of ending their winless streak in their Saturday night divisional matchup in St. Louis against the Blues.
But they were not successful, losing 1-0 to remain winless this season.
While neither team managed to find the back of the net in the first period, Marc-Andre Fleury put on a show with more than a handful of spectacular saves, keeping the Hawks in the game even though they were outshot 14-4 in period one.
The Blackhawks can thank Marc-André Fleury that this game is even after period one; he's been lights out. St. Louis is out-chancing the Blackhawks 26-16 and are leading the Hawks in high-danger chances, 5-3. #Blackhawks #STLBlues pic.twitter.com/EJXBC7KulO— Patrick K. Flowers (@PatrickKFlowers) October 31, 2021
Both teams saw more of the same through period two. Neither the Blues nor the Blackhawks were able to capitalize on power-play opportunities. Fleury once again was a brick wall in net, which kept the game tied with no score through 40 minutes.
Ok Marc-Andre Fleury. Enough of that already.— St. Louis Blues (@StLouisBlues) October 31, 2021
St. Louis was finally able to break the tie in the third period when Torey Krug’s power-play shot snuck past Fleury.
"WHAT A RUSH!!!!!" - Freddy KRUGer #stlblues pic.twitter.com/rJ0b2PuWZH— St. Louis Blues (@StLouisBlues) October 31, 2021
As time expired, the Hawks pulled Fleury but ultimately were unable to score with six attackers, sealing a 1-0 victory for the Blues.
- The Blackhawks have not won a game yet. They have played nine times.
- After 3 sub-par seasons and a 0-6-2 start to the 2021-22 campaign, the Hawks finally switched up their defense. While it’s nothing groundbreaking, they're playing a very basic formation which allowed them to stay in front of the net. The Hawks were outshot by 12 and still have a lot of work to do. But even though they were missing Patrick Kane — and a handful of defensemen — the Hawks only gave up one goal and it was while they were short handed.
- Fleury really kept the Hawks in the game but the defense, while not great, was enough to give him a chance to do so. One goal against on 37 shots, remind you of anyone?
- Offensively speaking, there is still a lot to be desired.
- Ryan Carpenter was noticeable in a positive way.
- The Blues’ Winter Classic style third jersey is sharp and they should switch to these uniforms full time. That's the only nice thing you’ll ever hear me say about St. Louis.
- While the result is the same, it wasn't as bad as its been. That's something. I guess.
- This is beginning to feel a lot like Groundhog’s Day.
- Have a happy and safe Halloween, everyone!
- Marc-Andre Fleury (CHI) — 36 saves on 37 shots
- Torey Krug (STL) — game-winning goal
- Ryan Carpenter (CHI) — 15:57 time on ice, 2 shots on goal
The Blackhawks will travel to Ottawa to take on the Senators on Monday night for a 7 p.m. puck drop.