Blackhawks vs. Canucks final score 2017: Comeback saves a point in OT loss

Despite overcoming a three-goal third period deficit, the Blackhawks comeback fell short with a 5-4 overtime loss to the Canucks.

The Chicago Blackhawks comeback efforts fell short on Tuesday night as they were handed a 5-4 overtime loss to the Vancouver Canucks.

For the second game in a row, the Blackhawks found themselves in a position for a third period comeback. Despite overcoming a three-goal deficit and pushing the game into overtime, the Hawks were unable to earn two points on the night. With a point in the loss, Chicago now has 100 points on the season, to sit six points ahead of the Minnesota Wild in the Central Division.

Ryan Hartman led the Blackhawks with two goals, while Marian Hossa added his 23rd goal of the season and an assist. Ryan Miller stood on his head for the Canucks, saving 40 of the 44 shots he faced.

With the Hawks unable to capitalize on a power play in the extra frame, the Canucks took advantage of a Jonathan Toews goalie interference call to earn the overtime victory.

Here’s what happened:

First Period

The opening half of the first frame saw one-sided action with the Hawks maintaining possession for the majority of the first 10 minutes of play. At the halfway mark, the Canucks had just one shot on goal, compared to the Hawks seven.

At the 9:43 mark of the period, Vancouver’s Ben Hutton was whistled for high-sticking, sending the Blackhawks to the man advantage. With just one shot on goal throughout the power play, the game remained scoreless.

The Canucks struck first on the night, as the Sedin twins worked their magic with just 59.5 seconds remaining on the clock. A shot from Daniel Sedin was redirected by Henrik Sedin to go over the glove of Corey Crawford and put Vancouver ahead 1-0 heading into the second frame.

Second Period

Just over a minute into the second frame, Brandon Sutter put the Canucks ahead by two with a dangle in front of the net to go backhand past Crawford.

With Bo Horvat whistled for hooking just seconds after Sutter’s goal, the Blackhawks headed to the man advantage looking to get on the board. Chicago capitalized on the power play, as a three-way pass from Nick Schmaltz to Marian Hossa to Ryan Hartman allowed Hartman to go backhand past Ryan Miller’s blocker side for his 17th of the season.

At the 4:25 mark of the middle frame, Vancouver’s Alex Biega was sent to the box for a trip on John Hayden, sending Chicago to another power play. Richard Panik had a massive opportunity on the power play for the Hawks, but the puck hit the post and bounced out, keeping the Canucks ahead by one.

Vancouver extended their lead to two in the second, as a Chris Tanev shot at the 7:45 mark was redirected by Reid Boucher to go right past Crawford into the back of the net.

Third Period/OT

Just over two minutes into the final period of regulation, a 2-on-1 for the Canucks allowed Brandon Sutter to post his second tally of the game giving Vancouver a 4-1 lead.

After Sutter’s second goal, Scott Darling took to the ice to relieve Crawford, with Crawford allowing four goals in 10 shots.

Under six minutes into the third, Hossa cuts the Canucks’ lead to two with a one-timer from Brent Seabrook on the power play.

The Hawks continued their comeback as Richard Panik’s 20th goal of the season put Chicago within one. A pass from Trevor van Riemsdyk allowed Panik to open up near the blue line and skate on in to put the wrist shot past Miller.

With under four minutes remaining, Hayden looked to have his second career NHL tally, until the play went under review for offsides. With Panik being offside on the play, it was ruled no goal, holding the Canucks to a one goal edge.

The Hawks officially tied the game with just 63 seconds left on the clock, as a backhand pass from Patrick Kane to Hartman right in front of the net allowed him to tap it past Miller to even things up at 4-4.

With 31 seconds remaining in regulation, a Canucks puck-over-glass penalty gave the Blackhawks their seventh power play of the game. As time winded down in regulation, the Hawks continued their man-advantage throughout overtime, with 4-on-3 action.

As Chicago’s power play ended, Jonathan Toews was whistled for goalie interference with 3:28 remaining in the extra frame. Daniel Sedin capitalized on the advantage, to put the puck past Darling.

Despite review on whether Henrik Sedin was in the crease for goaltender interference on the play, it was ruled a good goal to allow Vancouver to win in overtime.

SCH 3 Stars:

  1. Daniel Sedin, Vancouver (Game winning goal, 1 assist)
  2. Ryan Hartman, Chicago (2 goals)
  3. Ryan Miller, Vancouver (40 saves)

What’s next?

The Blackhawks will finish their three game homestand Thursday night as they host the Dallas Stars.