The Blackhawks traveled to the Canadian capital and grabbed a 5-4 shootout win over the Senators on Thursday. Marian Hossa scored his 1,000th NHL point in the win, which was marred by a slew of penalties to both sides.
The scoring opened when Mark Stone redirected a Curtis Lazar shot passed Scott Darling. Trevor Van Riemsdyk was a bit too wide giving Stone a lane to front of the net. Jonathan Toews would answer 4 minutes later with a dirty goal that the team needed. The Blackhawks would pull ahead on a vintage Versteeg play where he turns it over on a breakaway only to regain possession and dance Erik Karlsson and Craig Anderson to tickle the twine.
The Sens would tie the game early in the second on a power play marker after a chintzy Duncan Keith hooking call. The teams would trade power plays and chances throughout the middle frame, but we would go the third tied 2-2.
Bryan Bickell started the final frame with a lazy pass from the front of his net to, oh no one in particular, that Bobby Ryan banged home to put the Senators up 3-2. A real bad look for a guy that is struggling to get started. The Blackhawks would follow by taking a penalty as they were swimming in their own end. For good measure, the Hawks decided to follow the penalty kill with another penalty.
Following the kills, the captain would put in his second greasy one of the night to tie it at 3s. It looked like the Hawks were going to sneak by with a regulation win after Hossa notched his second goal of the season for his 1,000th career point. However, Mika Zibanejad would slide one through Darling’s wickets to take the game to OT. The Blackhawks would fail to convert on an OT power play, but won the skill competition for the second point.
The Blackhawks got away with a sloppy one, and they need to clean it up when better teams come knocking.
– Neither mustachioed head coach will be happy with their team’s discipline as minors were given out like halloween goodies (TOPICAL). There were some touchy calls, but both sides played a brutal game.
– Second straight game Jeremy Morin was one of the most noticeable Blackhawk on the ice. And for mostly good reasons! I want him to have a two goal game as much as he does.
– I like that Toews is more mobile on the power play, like flashing to the high slot, instead of stuck on the goal line. However, it still isn’t doing much.
– Brad Richards played in this NHL hockey game, which is news to me.
– Here is to 1,000 more for Marian Hossa. A pleasure to watch.
– Next game Saturday in Toronto. Happy Halloween.
Meat and potatoes from NHL.com
Fancy dining at War On Ice